The Boathouse at Belton was designed by Anthony Salvin (1799-1881) for John Cust, 1st Earl Brownlow, as a part of several phases of improvements at his principal seat, Belton House. The work dates from the early part of the career of Anthony Salvin and acts as the centrepiece of an extension to the pleasure grounds.
The design of the building uses all the main materials of construction in a decorative manner. The roof is of Collyweston stone roof tiles, each hand shaped into a fish scale. The plastering on the exterior is in a high relief basketweave pattern; the joinery is all woodgrained and the leaded light windows have a decorative latticework of leads and both tinted and etched glass.
Having enjoyed a history of occasional use in the 19th century the Boathouse fell into decline during the course of the 20th century. The Boathouse has recently undergone a full programme of repair and restoration to bring back to life this delightful building.
The work was informed by thorough investigation and analysis. Great care and trouble was taken to source appropriate materials and to work with craftsmen suitably skilled to create the various decorative finishes. What was a building in a sorry state, supported by scaffolding and covered by corrugated iron has now become what it was – a delightful building providing a focal point in the pleasure grounds at Belton House. The basket weave render received the 2008 Plaisterer’s Trophy for external plastering from the Worshipful Company of Plaisterers.